Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spinach and Mushroom Soup

So the supermarket had the most GORGEOUS mushrooms and spinach yesterday. Of course, I bought too much. The joys of having a maid meant that when i got home from work I had me a big pile of chopped veggies! I figure it's time I made something here that's mildly healthy!


  • 1 onion, chopped in chunks (doesn't matter because it's going to stew and then go in the blender)
  • 2 bunches of spinach (I'd say 2 bags baby spinach in the US, maybe one and a half), torn
  • 2 packets of mushrooms, coarsely chopped
  • 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 1 heaped tsp dried basil (heck if you have fresh go for it)
  • 1/2 cup milk (double toned or 1% is what I used, but as you wish)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • salt to taste
Warm the oil in a big pot. Add garlic and soon after, onions. When onions turn pearly, add mushrooms, some salt, and basil. When mushrooms have shrunk to half their size, remove some and set aside for garnish/texture. (I did this because I am lazy and didn't want to use another pot.) Add spinach, milk and rest of salt. Mix nicely and cook uncovered till it reduces to about half it's size. Or till it smells so good you want to eat it NOW. Remove from fire and allow to cool a bit before whizzing in blender till pureed with slight texture. Again, this depends on how you like your soup!

Stir in some more milk/cream to get the little white whirls if you want, sprinkle with grated cheese, if you want, and top with the mushrooms set aside earlier.

Serves 4.

No comments: