Makes 8 pieces. Large pieces. 1 per person should be enough.
Prep time: 25 min
Cooking time: 25 min
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed. (I used 3 of those giant baking potatoes and ended up with way too much.)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup chopped pimientos (I didn't have and result was still yummy. substituted 1 tsp paprika, but not the sweet kind.)
- 1 cup corn; fresh, frozen or canned (drained)
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened to room temp (I used goat cheese, worked as well)
- 1 cup grated mild cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (I used Trader Joe's Mexican blend!)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tbs vinegar (don't worry if you use a little less, it tasted too much of vinegar for me)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached wheat flour
- 3 tbs melted butter, margarine or vegetable oil (Butter!!!)
- Vegetable oil for frying
Mix the water, vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Add flour and butter. (Yes, dry to wet, who can say why, it worked.) Work dough adding flour until it's not wildly sticky. Roll out in a long roll and divide into 8 pieces. Roll out into 6-7 inch circles. This is not easy dough cos it keeps springing back smaller. Plonk 1/8th of the filling in the centre leaving about 1/2 inch all around to fold over and seal. Scallop edges. In about 1 inch of oil (we used MUCH less. It's basically a shallow fry) fry both sides until golden. This is a good time to have a partner, one rolls and the other fries. Faster AND fun. Drain on paper towels.
They're a FANTASTIC next-day meal, on a journey, at work, whatever. very self contained, they can be eaten with minimum fuss and attention.