Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mushroom Bourgignon

Gosh I started making this recipe way back in 2009, and have been meaning to post it ever since. It's become a staple favourite of mine, especially in cold weather, and I have evolved so far from the original smitten kitchen recipe that I don't even know if it still is what I claim it is!




The thing I love about this is that it's thick and mushroomy and SO YUMMY, and it's super easy to make! I often serve it with pasta or even maggi noodles (sans masala of course), and it should work well with rice. Last night I made it as the sauce for the chicken. Sadly all my tweaking has resulted in an approximating recipe, sorry, but fiddle and it'll be lovely I promise!

1 T olive oil/butter/combination ahem
1 medium onion, diced fine
3 cloves of garlic, squished
2 packets button mushrooms, chopped/sliced/whatever you like. sliced works better for sauce and chopped for stew (I really should measure this)
1 carrot, diced small
1 T dried basil
1/2 T parsley/oregano (actually whatever spice mix makes you happy, my flatmate loves thyme and I hate it but it might work if it's your thing)
1 tomato, grated or pureed OR 2 T tomato puree (the grating is my cheat for when I don't want to dirty the blender for one tomato!)
1 1/2 cups broth (which can be broth broth or maggi masala cubes mashed into water)
1 T flour
salt to taste

Saute onions and garlic in oil till onions are translucent. Add carrots and mushrooms and put on sim and cover. Leave it alone for about 5 minutes. Add the spices and the tomato and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the liquid and salt (if using cubes don't salt now, taste and then do it cos they have a lot of salt) and cover and allow to simmer for ten fifteen minutes. You can stop here if it's a do-ahead. Ten minutes before serving, bring to a boil, sprinkle the flour in and stir till it thickens. Onnswaa!

No comments: