Sunday, January 26, 2014

Grilled Garlic Chicken

I like to call myself a non-practising non-vegetarian. This is because I don't have a problem with meat per se, only with pork, fish and seafood, I hate the smell, and with beef and mutton, it's too chewy. But my biryani must be mutton, I love murg malai kababs, have adored the beef broth soups I ate in Colombia, and am generally happy to pick the meat out and eat. This of course leads people to look at me in shock and say 'you're vegetarian???' or mock me by calling me a fake vegetarian or asking me whether I am vegetarian today. Pffft to them I say ;)




With the recent attempts to eat differently I'm always looking for something I can eat at restaurants etc which will be a decent source of protein, and have started to be quite the fan of grilled chicken. From there it was but a small step to making it at home--said small step involving the acquisition of rubber gloves of course hee.

This is a ridiculously simple recipe so I dunno if I should post it, but then when I was taking the big step to start making chicken I really could have used something like this!

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, squished
2 t salt
1 T basil
1 T parsley
olive oil for cooking

Clean your chicken. Mix up the marinade in a bowl. Rub all over chicken and pile up in a bowl. I let it marinade for 6 hours or something, but I think even 1 should do. Heat a pan with a little oil. Put the breasts in as many as fit and cover with lid. Let it cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes. Turn over and do the same for the other side. Et voila! You can serve it with all sorts of sauces. Mushroom bourgignon is what I used here, but you can also do a simple mushroom sauce, or pasta sauce, or whatever you want!

No comments: