Saturday, June 14, 2014

Roasted Aubergines with Yoghurt Sauce

More Ottolenghi. I must say I had my doubts about this. Thyme? And then the aubergines came out looking all sad and pathetic. And I'm thinking okay I know I'm all don't over spice it, let the flavours of the vegetables shine and all, but maybe too much shining? But nope, it was perfect.


So he calls it buttermilk sauce, which it probably is, but of course I couldn't be bothered to make buttermilk, so I made it with yoghurt and it was yum. I also made too much so I bunged the pomegranates in and we ate it like raita. Nomnomnom. (this recipe changed a lot so you should go read his original one.)

2 large and long aubergines
3 T olive oil (maybe less. I didn't measure, I just dipped and brushed)
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme (I think you can use about 1t dried thyme)
Salt and pepper
150 g yoghurt
2 small garlic cloves, crushed
1 pomegranate
Sumac to sprinkle

Preheat oven to 200C. Slice the aubergines in half, vertically. You can leave a bit of stalk, so it looks all nice, but remember not to eat it! Score the flesh diagonally in one direction then the other to make diamond shapes. Make sure you're not cutting all the way to the skin though. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and thyme. Bung in over for about 20 min. (OK honestly, I didn't time it, I just kept checking on them. When they're all roasted and melty, take em out.) Now make sauce by whisking/stirring the yoghurt, adding salt and crushed garlic. When ready to serve, spoon sauce over aubergines, sprinkle with pomegranate and sumac. Again I served it cold but it could work either way.

No comments: