Monday, February 22, 2010

Double Chocolate Cake

So I quit my job recently and decided to have a party to celebrate. Heck, who'm I kidding, I just wanted an excuse to bake. Hee. I've been dying to try more from smitten kitchen, and it's been a long time since there was chocolate in my life. Therefore, double chocolate cake. As usual, it lived up to everything I am now coming to demand from anything of Deb's, and was inhaled by my friends. Not a crumb left.




For the cake:

  • 3/4 cup chopped chocolate (some random thing in the supermarket, was better than Bournville, say about 50% cacao)
  • 11/2 cups brewed coffee (about 2tbs Bru in 11/2 cups water)
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder (Cadbury's of course)
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sunflower oil 
  • 11/2 cups shaken buttermilk (I did 1/2 cup nestle dahi plus 1 cup water)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the ganache topping:
  • 1/2 small box amul cream (see if you can get the runny bits out and use the thickest part)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate

Pour the hot coffee over the chopped chocolate and stir until it becomes smooth. In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Beat eggs (I used whisk, yup, beater's still broken) until slightly thickened, and light yellow. Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture. Add in the flour mixture and stir till well combined. Bake at 160C for an hour.

To make ganache, warm cream in a saucepan and stir in the chocolate. Take off fire as soon as you've added the chocolate and keep stirring till it's smooth. Pour over cooled cake and let set in fridge.


No comments: