Saturday, February 6, 2010

No-bake Strawberry Cheesecake


I've adored cheesecake ever since the first time I ate a real one, not the eggy, gelatinous ones we get here in India as a rule. When I was in college, we discovered this bakery in Khan Market (I can't even remember the name, but it doesn't exist anymore so it doesn't matter I guess) that had divine blueberry cheesecake for the decadent sum of seventy rupees. (My daily budget was about 50), and as a special treat we'd go eat some occasionally. I've met many more of note, like the strawberry one at the deli at the southeast corner of central park, and lets never forget Rocco's in the West Village. Most recently it was the blueberry at Big Chill, in Khan Market again. So when my kind friend offered to teach me how to make one, I nearly peed in excitement.

So heeere it is at last my loverlies. Adapted from here.

This was part of the mad six-hour baking marathon some days ago. Also from then is the challah, the knish, the stew and the pavlova. It's best left to set overnight so make it the day before.



For the crust:
  • 1 1/2 cups Marie biscuit crumbs (this is about one packet minus 7 biscuits)
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (mine was very grainy, so maybe whizz in mixie a bit?)
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
For the filling:
  • 2 tubs cream cheese (eeep! I know, I never said it was healthy ;) I used Philadelphia 1/3 less fat)
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 small cartons cream (Amul. It was a bit too much in my opinion, covered up all the other flavour and made it a bit bland, so I'd use a a half less next time.)
  • 1/3 sugar (I beat in mixie so it whipped better)
Topping of choice (Slices strawberries in this case)

For the crust:
Mix all together in bowl. Try not to eat! Press into your selected mold. Refrigerate.



For the filling:
Whip that cream for a few minutes. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice, essence and sugar and just keep whipping. This is where a stand mixer would be a godsend, especially if you're making four other things! It will eventually get quite stiff. At this point, pour into the pan, over the crust and smooth. Top with topping. Refrigerate 8 hours at least.

No comments: