For pre-cooking and background, see this.
- 1/2 cup uncooked dal, pre-cooked.
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (big black ones)
- 1/2 tsp jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves (fresh if pos, dried also work)
Heat the oil and put the mustard seeds in. When they start to pop, add the rest of the spices, curry leaves (they will leap about if fresh) and the ginger garlic and fry for a bit. Add the onions till pearly, then tomato till juice runs, and then dal and salt. Bring to a boil.